PREP: 15min | COOKING: 40min Six servings
- Boil 8 cups of water in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken breasts, continue cooking over medium-high heat for about 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked (remove any foam released from chicken breast during cooking)
- Add SOFRITO, potatoes, and rice. Let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes for white rice or 45 minutes for brown rice. Continue cooking until potatoes become soft. (do not overcook, potatoes may become too soft and break)
- Watch water level, if necessary, add a bit more broth or water to bring the water level up.
- Garnish with minced cilantro, Italian parsley, or avocado in small cubes
- Brighten the soup’s flavor by adding one tablespoon of lemon juice or lime
- Serve with whole wheat toasted bread brushed with oil and Italian herbs.
About 13 cups of fresh water
2 pounds chicken breast trimmed and cut in 6 or 8 pieces
½ cup of rice
5 medium/small yellow potatoes
1 sweet potato
Salt and pepper to taste, additional spices preferred
2 cups of chicken bone broth or regular chicken broth
1 chopped onion
1 or 2 garlic cloves
1 or ½ chopped carrot
½ chopped red pepper
2 tsp salt, add more gradually if needed (I ended adding about 4 or 5 full teaspoons of salt)
½ tsp of chili powder
½ tsp of black pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper